|Donate to help continue the development
of the Indigo External IP & Dynamic DNS Updater Plugin
What is the External IP Plugin?
External IP, is an Indigo plugin that will use connect to What is My IP (http://www.whatismyip.com), and find out what your current IP Address is.
Depending on your settings, it will allow you to export them to an Indigo Variable, or to an Indigo device. If you set up an “External IP” device, that device’s statuses will show the following:
- FetchingIP – Is the External IP plugin currently fetching an updated IP address?
- CurrentIP – What your current externally facing IP address is from http://www.whatismyip.com
- Waiting – The Plugin is waiting for the next connection to www.whatismyip.com
- NextPoll – The Time/Date of the next scheduled Poll
- PreviousPoll – The Time/Date of the last poll
The External IP Plugin requires an active Internet connection to reach http://www.whatismyip.com.
An optional feature, is that it will update your DynDNS host records, with the IP Address that it auto-detected from http://www.whatismyip.com. The Device states for the DynDNS device show these values:
- DyndnsStatus – Was the earlier DynDns update successful?
- LastUpdated – What was the date/time of the last DynDns update.
- Open the “Add to Plugin Directory” folder, and take the External_IP.indigoPlugin and place it into
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins
- Restart the Indigo 5 Server
- After the Indigo server restarts, it will immediately open a dialog window, asking you to the set the default settings for the External IP plugin.
If you are upgrading from earlier version of External IP, please go into any “External IP” device records, and check your settings. Please make sure to save the device, since there are new fields in v0.95, and if you do not save the device, those fields will not contain valid data.
The Plugin does not have a Web Interface, and expects to save its data in the External IP devices states. This allows you to set up actions, for example, emailing you when your IP address changes.
- Create an “External IP Detector” Device in Indigo’s Device Lists (New -> Plugin -> External IP -> External IP Detector)
- Configure the External IP Detector
If you wish to have the External IP plugin update DynDns automatically…
- Create a DynDns IP Address Updater” Device (New -> Plugin -> External IP -> DynDns IP Address Updater)
- Configure the DynDNS IP Address Updater with your DynDNS Hostname, and DynDNS Username / Password.
The DynDNS IP Address Updater will update DynDNS every time the External IP Detector runs. Even if your IP Address hasn’t changed. This way, you are ensured that DynDNS will be up to date.
Versions for Download
- v1.00 – Third Public Release
- Added DynDNS hostname IP Address updating
- v0.95 – Second Public Release
- Fixed issue where the plugin would always “save” the new IP, even when it was the same
as the previous poll. This would cause false positives when testing to see if the value
had changed in a trigger action.
- v0.90 – First Public Release
If you’re having an issue, please let me know. Please email me, and I will be happy to aid in any way possible… Please feel free to offer suggestions for Feature Enhancements, or new features through email as well..